Chicken Shawarma Salad
Chicken Shawarma SaladCourse: LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Chicken Shawarma Salad: tender and juicy marinated chicken thighs served up on a bed of crispy romaine with tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onions, topped with a quick and easy creamy yogurt dressing.
- Chicken and Marinade
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic pressed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Yogurt Dressing
5 to 6 ounces (2/3 cup) plain, unsweetened yogurt*
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic pressed
1 to 3 teaspoons milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chicken broth or water
1 small red onion cut into thin wedges
1 head romaine washed and chopped
1 cucumber peeled and chopped
1 large tomato chopped
- Marinate Chicken
- In a small bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients. Pour over chicken thighs and toss to coat. Return chicken to the refrigerator and marinate for 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- Prepare Dressing
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, 1 teaspoon of milk, and salt. If desired, add more milk by the 1/2 teaspoon until dressing reaches your desired consistency. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook Chicken and Onions
- On the stove, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken thighs and cook for 2 to 5 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. If at any time the outside of the chicken begins to cook too quickly and burn, turn the heat down. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Deglaze the pan over medium-high heat with 1/4 cup of water or chicken broth, scraping all the crispy browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and add the onions. Cook onions until they reach your preferred level of doneness, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Slice the chicken and assemble salad. Top with dressing and enjoy!
- Approximate nutritional information assumes 25% marinade consumption.