20 Minute Meal-Prep Chicken, Rice and Broccoli
20 Minute Meal-Prep Chicken, Rice and BroccoliCourse: LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Quick skillet chicken, rice, and steam broccoli all made in under 20 minutes for a healthy meal-prep lunch box that you can enjoy all week long!
- For the Rice:
2 cups water
1 cup jasmine rice
3/4 teaspoon salt
- For the chicken:
4 small-medium boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs about 4 oz each
1 teaspoon brown or granulated sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cups broccoli florets
water for steaming
- To Cook the Rice:Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. this Stir in the rice; cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed.
- To Cook the chicken: Rub chicken with brown sugar, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-duty pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on the first side without moving, until the undersides develop dark grill marks. Flip the chicken breasts using a pair of tongs or a fork and cook the other side for 5-6 minutes. Turn off heat and allow chicken breasts to rest in pan for at least 5 minutes before cutting.
- To steam broccoli: There are two ways to cook the broccoli. To blanch the broccoli on the stove-top. Boil water in a large pot. Add broccoli florets to pot and blanch for just 1 minute. Remove from the pot. To steam in the microwave: Place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl and add water 3 tablespoons water to the bowl. Cover with a ceramic plate or plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- To assemble: Cut the chicken into slices or small bite-size pieces. Use a 1 cup measuring cup to evenly spoon 1 cup of rice into each (4 total) Top the rice with slices chicken and broccoli florets. Cover and refrigerate for you to 4 days. To reheat microwave on high for 2 minutes or until steaming.