Lemon Butter Fish
Lemon Butter FishCourse: LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This Easy Lemon Butter Fish only takes 15 minutes and a handful of ingredients. It’s a delicious and nutritious. Pair with rice and vegetables for a healthy weeknight dinner.
4 good-sized firm white fish fillets, about 6 inches long, 1-inch thickness (cod, halibut, or mahi would work well.)
3 TB melted butter (I use salted, but unsalted is fine)
Juice and zest from 1 medium lemon
1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus extra to taste
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 TB olive oil
freshly chopped basil or parsley leaves, for garnish and flavor
extra lemon slices for serving
- Use paper towels to thoroughly pat-dry excess moisture from fish fillets – this step is crucial for fish to brown nicely in pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine melted butter, lemon juice and zest, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Stir to combine well. Taste and add a bit more kosher salt, if desired.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 tsp kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Evenly press spice mixture onto all sides of fish fillets.
- In a large, heavy pan over medium high heat, heat up the olive oil until hot. Once your oil is sizzling, Cook 2 fish fillets at a time to avoid overcrowding (allows for even browning.) Cook each side just until fish becomes opaque, feels somewhat firm in the center, and is browned – lightly drizzle some of the lemon butter sauce as you cook, reserving the rest for serving. Take care not to over-cook, as that will result in a tougher texture. Season with extra kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve fish with with remaining lemon butter sauce, basil or parsley, and lemon wedges.
- ** Be sure to use coarse kosher salt, not fine table salt. Kosher salt is much milder and less salty. ** The actual cook time varies, depending on type, cut, and starting temp of fish. I typically cook about 3-4 minutes per side. I check for doneness by lightly pressing fillet centers for firmness. Once it feels somewhat firm, it’s usually done. ** Serve with Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice or Best Easy Roasted Vegetables Recipe for a healthy meal that happens to be gluten-free.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories206
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Cholesterol 22.9mg 8%
- Sodium 1417mg 60%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 3.9g
- Protein 1.7g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.